Sunday, November 21, 2010

Networking Error

I was in an Alumni Networking event on Thursday. The reason people go
to networking event is to expand their network and perhaps is to find
a job. However, I couldn't not notice behavior error from people. The
behavior error was once there was free time, people pay too much
attention to the "important" people, who has a good position in some
company, and spent no time to people who were there and had the same
objective as you.

What you hope and want are to expand your network and find a job. In a
short term, those "important" people might able to afford you a job
and make some necessary arrangement, but the things are people trend
to forget relationship are from both side. For example, after the
Alumni helped me to get a job, it is hardly there are anything you can
afford back, except nice greeting and a thank you card. Age
difference, work experience, and social class make different needs on
different person. Alumni and me do not speak the same language and code.

Reversely, I spent time with other students who was there probably had
the same objective as me. Our situation, similar age range, and need
will allow me to speak the same language as them, so when I speak I
can make emotion connection with my audiences. It is easier to make
friends who are similar to you than those who are not.

The ultimate goal of networking is to make friends, is not give you a
job (that come second). Networking event is the tool that give you the
opportunity to connect other people. I am not saying don't talk with
the "important" people, however don't forget the people who are
surround you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment