Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Eucharist

I went to Mass today, and was thinking about the Eucharist, how
Catholics and Protestants think differently. I went to a Protestant
Church for two years before I converted to Catholicism. I remember my
church only celebrated the Eucharist once a month. It is because the
Bible wrote "Do this in memory of me". So the word "memory" is the
belief of the Eucharist in the Protestant church. I can't deny that
even when I was baptized, it took me a long time to understand the
awesomeness of the Eucharist. The awesomeness is that we believe the
Eucharist is the body of Christ not just a memory of Christ. The part
of the Protestant belief that was right was that we celebrate the
Eucharist in memory of Christ coming down from Heaven and dying for
us. He is the Lamb of the Passover. Remember that in the Old Testament
after God tested Abraham in the scripture God said he would provide.
God provided Jesus as the Lamb of Passover, so when Jesus blesses the
Eucharist in the Last Supper and says: This is my body, this is my
blood, he actually means what he says. But what the Protestants miss
is that they don't understand that Christ is alive now, just as in the
past and will be in the future. God's Salvation or Jesus' Salvation
was not in the past, it is right now, it is now and in this moment.
Celebrating the Eucharist occurs after Jesus' time, because it is
necessary that Christ died for us so we have the Eucharist to
celebrate. What was before then? Before that, the Jews celebrated
Passover by slautering a lamb. The lamb is the unblemished sacrifice,
the lamb's blood was spread on the doorpost of each home and the
firstborn son was saved from death. In the New Testament, Jesus
replaced the tradition by replacing the lamb with Himself. So, why is
the Eucharist is the body of Christ today? Because Jesus said if you
do not receive me you have no part of me and whoever eats My flesh and
drinks My Blood has eternal life. That host, that tiny circle thing,
is the body of Christ, which was given to the Apostle and is also
given to us today. The trick is that salvation is done once and for
all, but salvation is also happening now, in this moment; it is
happening. It is very important to remember that we are saved not just
because we choose to believe, but because God provides, provides
everyday, every minute. What God provides for our salvation every
minute is Himself, which is in the Eucharist. So, whether the
Eucharist is just a bread or is the Body of Christ you can decide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment