Monday, March 15, 2010

Self-Reflection of MBA

After I graduated in Bachelor of Business Administration, I went back
Hong Kong and did three months part-time job as a logistic assistant.
I did not satisfy with a position of assistant. I would like to make
decision judgements and be hold accountability of my action. Here is
what they say in America: undergrad only study about theory; a master
program study about implementation. Then, I quickly used my connection
connect with my old school; they granted me an assistantship soon I've
contacted with them.

Then the financial crisis expose, school cancelled the assistantship.
I still went back to America pursue the MBA program by hoping soon I
could find a part-time job to cover my tuition fee. Not soon, I was
informed that even I am a master student I am still not allow to work
off campus. I began to try to find an internship instead of some part-
time work.

It was difficult because every company has cut their budget. I tried
many job search engines, but there is no internship available. Then, I
tried to use some old fashion way, mailing resume out, to companies
which I am interest. My respond is only 1 out of 20, and the only
respond was I made a following up call. It was not cost efficiency,
soon after few more attempts I drop this idea. After all, I decided
that it wasn't that bad to rely on connection to get a job. I went to
the student career center and asked the person to help. I read a
statement somewhere, and it said 90% of your first impression of
someone probably is right in the end. My guessing is correct, that
person was not capable of her job, because she can't even answer me
the result of a survey she asked those just grad student to do few
months ago.

I tried to approach the professors in the school. They gave me a list
of old students and some chamber of commerce persons that I can
contact with, but the result is even more dreadful than mailing resume
out. The closest one was my international business professor at that
time. She was working in a logistic field and I had a match resume
with her, then I talked with her and gave her my resume. Her comment
to my resume and cover letter was impressive, so I knew isn't my
resume or cover wrong. But, the trail went silence again in the end.

The last couple things I tried are Linked In, career fair and company
website. My furious among these are career fair. I went to one in a
hotel. Firstly, the career fair cannot find the list of companies
attending to. Secondly, only around 10 companies is participating on
the day. Thirdly, 60% of them are female dedicated institution. I felt
wasted my time and gas money. Another I went was in a big university
career fair. Couple things I remember, half of them are government
organization they reject international student. That I can understand.
Then, 50% of them are there just because they want to get their name
out. Here is one of the conversation I with the personnel that day.

Hi. My name is Vincent. How are you doing? (Then he introduced his
name to me). Then I asked: are you here look for potential candidate
for your company. He respond yes. Then I asked is your company hiring
people right now? He said no. And then I said: anyway, I am very
interested of your company. Can you tell me what kind of person is
your company look for. He said pretty much person with leadership.
Then I asked: is there any place I can show my leadership in your
company application form? He said: Just on the form. (Because there is
no such place) I asked is there any person I can try to contact he
said no.

So, how is the program? Some is good, some is bad. Project management
I did very bad in the class, but I think the class is very good, it
learn something isn't very ordinary. Account Information Management is
bad too, but is also something I think it is worthy to take it. Most
class I rate bad is that I have the expectation in the class. It
should be 75% about implementation and difficult problem solving.
There is no basic information need to cover about in class, because
the textbook have already covered them very detail. Sometime I feel
the professor give some shitting homework, example and class lecturer
is okay, as look as the professor demonstrate critical think and
opinion. However, some professor not, then I will just feel I am out
knowledge of professor.

It is okay to pressure the MBA program. Actually, when I was in
undergrad I already looking to get a master program. Now is almost
finish, I am very grad, the only different is is not in Germany. My
current GPA is 3.76. I guess it will stay above 3.6 by my graduation
day. Hopefully, my hardworking will pay off in long-term. I also
grateful to my Dad. If is not his financial supporting I will never
able to do it.

In the end, do I get what I want from beginning? It is no. Because
having an MBA is not something will right bring you to a manager
position and an instance rase of salary. My latest comment of business
is a word "figurlism", they just talk about number all the time and
tell you what is right and wrong by that. My comments is if later or
soon I will take the MBA course, I would rather to take it now and
realize that something I might need as much. I am not finishing the
course in May, but in December; I will still go finish the course
because no need to wasted all the money for nothing (the
certification.)

1 comments:

Bruce Dyson said...

Great article. I just finished my mba and can relate to some of what you were saying. I am not an exchange student, but I know how it feels to jump through hoops, all in hopes of making a connection.

Post a Comment