Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why bad things happen to good people?

Today, I remember I once read an analogy, I don't remember how it
wrote; something like:

If God is good, why evil exist.
If God do care about what is good, why bad thing happen
If God do not care about what is good, then God is bad
If God is bad, that is why bad exist

I remember it, like a scar. Before reading that, I was already upset,
very emotional, because I found out that a person I like very much had
died badly.
I meant what good for us to make ourselves good and religious if we
being a good person still have to suffer random bad consequence in life.
It was very discouraging. It made you unmotivated.
I couldn't explain it. I felt shit.

Do you remember my friend, Rachel? She has a sad story about her
cousin. I quoted some verses for her

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, says
the Lord" (Is 55.8).
"He had made everything beautiful in its time" (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
"For what man can learn the counsel of God? Or who can discern what
the Lord wills?" (Wisdom 9:13).
For God is justice, he tests both Holy and wicked. (In Psalm somewhere)
"But the righteous man, though he die early, will be at rest." (Wisdom
4: 7)
"But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torment
will ever touch them." (Wisdom 3:1)
" In the days when He was in the flesh, He offered prayers and
supplications with loud cries and tears to the one who was able to
save Him from death..., Son though He was He learned obedience from
what He suffered; and when He was made perfect, He became the source
of eternal salvation for all who obey Him, declared by God high priest
according to the order of Melchizedek" (Letter to the Hebrews)
"all things consist in Him" (St. Paul)

I think it is okay for us have the emotion. We are human; we have our
perspective; we want things go the way we want. But again, "For what
man can learn the counsel of God? Or who can discern what the Lord
wills?" (Wisdom 9:13); and "My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are
your ways My ways, says the Lord" (Is 55.8).

I read couple verses today, it go well to the topic today. "And as
Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his
disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his
parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man
sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made
manifest in him." (Gospel John 9 1-3)

Later to the chapter, we know this blind had been begger for this
life. He lived his life as the lowest social class in his society.
Additionally, that period, the way people think is that he is either
a sinner or his parents are sinners. He must had been treated
disrespectfully. He must felt sad, life was difficult, and unfair.

Although, now, we have the knowledge about why bad things happen on
earth, will continue have the conflict among God's work on earth, our
faith, and our emotion. We need to have faith in our religious when
bad thing happen and comfort others when bad things happened to them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment